Aerial Mosquito Larvicide Spraying
Homeowners should follow the following tips to eliminate sources of standing water from their yards which could serve as mosquito breeding areas:
• Discard old tires, tin cans, buckets, drums, bottles or any water holding containers in and around the property.
• Fill in or drain any low places (puddles, ruts) in your yard.
• Keep drains, ditches and culverts clean of weeds and trash so water will drain properly.
• Cover trash containers to keep out rainwater.
• Repair leaky pipes and outside faucets to prevent puddles of standing water.
• Empty plastic wading pools at least once a week and store them indoors when not in use.
• Make sure your backyard pool is properly cared for while you are on vacation.
• Fill in tree root holes and hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.
• Change the water in bird baths and plant pots or drip trays at least once a week.
For additional information about the aerial spraying process and schedule, contact the Chesapeake Mosquito Control Commission Spray Hotline, at 382-3456.